Servitization in Action: KONE

KONE is an international engineering and services company specialising in elevators, escalators, autowalks and automatic doors. It employs over 57,000 people worldwide, operates in more than 60 countries, serves more than 450,000 customers and had annual net sales of €9.1 billion in 2018, of which 53% was in new equipment and the remaining 47% in services (33% maintenance and 14% modernisation).

Its customers are builders, developers, building owners, facilities managers, designers and architects, but any member of the public might use its products; by 2016 over one billion people used KONE elevators and escalators each day.

The company’s strong mission and vision guide its clear strategic aim to support customers:

MISSION: to improve the flow of urban life.

VISION: to deliver the best People Flow® experience, by providing ease, effectiveness and experiences to users and customers over the full life-cycle of buildings.

The objective of KONE’s solution and service development is to drive differentiation further by putting the needs of customers and users at the centre of all development. This is achieved through needs analysis and testing of hypotheses and prototypes with both customers and users, and closer collaboration with customers and partners.

During the first quarter of 2018, KONE introduced a new digital platform which is open to third-party solutions.

To read about KONE’s servitization strategy and journey to date, download the full Case Study